The most common question I get about CBD is: “How much do I take”? CBD is a non-psychoactive component of cannabis that is extracted from CBD rich strains of marijuana such as the Charlotte’s Web strain. The safety profile and the ability of CBD to control pediatric epilepsy without psychoactive or other side effects catalyzed the medical marijuana movement. In the early 2000’s, families who could not get this medicine in their home states moved to Colorado, and the state is now a leader in research and production of CBD and other medical cannabis preparations.
The creator of the Charlotte’s Web strain, CW Hemp-The Stanley Brothers, make a hemp derived CBD extract that is standardized for potency and has near zero levels of THC. This post describes how to start yourself or your child on CBD, but before you undertake any new herbal medicine regimen you should consult a medical professional, preferably a naturopathic doctor.
The CBD dosing regimen below is specifically for the Everyday Advanced product by CW Hemp which has a 25 part CBD to 1 part THC ratio and 50 mg of CBD per ml of oil.
The product label notes to take a single adult dose of .6ml, which is 1/8 of a teaspoon, up to 3 times per day. A single pediatric dose is about .25 ml of Everyday Advanced, equivalent to 1/20th of a teaspoon, which yields 12.5 mg of CBD. To get accurate dosing you need to convert the teaspoon measures to number of drops.
Everyday Advanced is technically a fat based extract which is very different from an alcohol tincture. A thicker base (coconut oil in this case) will yield bigger drops versus a ‘thin’ alcohol tincture, so here is how to convert this product to drops…
Number of drops per milliliter: Herbal Alcohol Tincture vs. Herbal Infused Oil
- 75% alcohol based herbal tincture at room temperature = 30 drops per ml
- Herbal Infused Oil at room temperature = ~15 drops per ml
Everyday Advanced CBD Dose Titration for Children
For pediatric dose titration, start with one drop, 3 times per day. If well tolerated go to 2 drops, wait a few days. If no adverse effects are noted, you can go the therapeutic starting dose with is 4 drops 3X per day.
A good starting point for general pediatric CBD dosing is to start with .5mg CBD per pound of body weight, split across 3 doses per day. This is a therapeutic dose that you can increase under medical supervision and in response to the therapeutic need. CBD has a stellar safety profile but all cannabis products are biphasic which means they could have significant side effects at both very low or very high doses. Use of CBD to treat pediatric epilepsy could employ a 5-10X higher dose but this is obviously an extreme use case. Each condition I treat with CBD necessitates an individual prescription for the patient to achieve exact dose titration.
Example: A 70-pound child should take 35-40 mg of CBD per day, split over 3 doses taken with food. 4 drops of Everyday Advanced will yield 12.5 mg of CBD.
Everyday Advanced CBD Dose Titration for Adults
A starting dose of CBD for a 140-pound adult is 1.2 to 1.8 ml of oil per day to yield a daily dose of 60-90 mg of CBD. The Everyday Advanced label suggest taking .6ml (one-eighth of a teaspoon) two to three times a day, which provides 30 mg of CBD per dose.
Example: A 140-pound adult should take 70 mg of CBD daily (.5mg of CBD per pound of body weight) split over 3 doses taken with food. If desired results are not obtained and the CBD is well tolerated, you can double the dose after one week and then wait two weeks. If you again have not achieved the desired results you can go as high as 2mg/pound/day.
- It is important to know the exact amount of CBD and THC in any cannabis based medicine you consume and understand how the CBD:THC ratio affects the medicine and its uses.
- NO AFFILIATION: I am not affiliated with CW Hemp in any way and do not receive compensation for recommending their products to my patients or for writing this dose titration guide.
- The only known contra-indication for CBD is to not take it with grapefruit as that combo could have negative impacts on enzymatic activity in the body.
- You should always buy from a reputable source with strong standards for purity and potency.
- Per FDA guidelines, this post does not constitute a recommendation to take CBD or cannabis products.
- Other formulations of CBD not discussed here include liposomal, nano-particle and homeopathic.
- Please reach out in the comments if you have questions on CBD.
Dr. Coleen Murphy ND, LAc.